Donate to PyLadies @ PyCon 2015!
December 01, 2014
TL;DR: Donate to PyLadies for PyCon!
With PyCon 2015 planning in high gear, PyLadies is revving up to raise funds to help women attend the biggest Python conference of the year.
Just like last year, we're hoping to raise at least $40,000 to help women attend this coming PyCon. Here's the breakdown:
- In addition to registration, it will take about $500-1000 per woman in North America to attend PyCon 2015 in Montreal
- In addition to registration, it will take about $1000-2000 per woman outside of North America to attend PyCon 2015 in Montreal
- We're using all of the $12k that PyLadies raised at last year's PyCon auction to increase the aid pool, in addition to raising $40,000.
Why PyLadies? Our effect on the community
(percentages are not at all accurate, and are roughly estimated based on guessing names-to-gender scripts):
- PyCon 2011 had less than 10% women attendees (speaker % unknown)
- PyLadies started in late 2011
- PyCon 2012 had about 11% women attendees, and about the same in speakers. 2013 with about 14 chapters, PyCon had over 20% women attendees and 22% women speakers.
- For PyCon 2014, we saw that about one-third of attendees and speakers were women.
- No overhead - we're all volunteers! ;-)
- Lastly, donations tax deductible since PyLadies is under the financial enclave of the Python Software Foundation
What you will get in return
- Unless you explicitly choose to be anonymous (though the online donation site or in private discussions), we will profusely thank you via our public channels (Twitter, this blog, and at our PyCon booth)
- Provide a detailed write-up and financial introspection of how many women we've helped because of this campaign
- Visibility! It shows the PyCon/Python community that your company/you are serious about women in tech - which can directly benefit sponsors with increased hiring pool of female Pythonistas.
Ways to donate
All of the following methods are tax-deductible with funds going to the Python Software Foundation, a 501(c)3 charitable organization.
- Through our donation page (ideal for individuals)
- Email me at [email protected] (ideal for companies or anyone needing a proper invoice, or individualized solutions)
- Become a sponsor for PyCon (this is more indirect and less potent, but overall helpful to PyCon)
More information is available on the PyCon Financial Aid site if you would like to apply for financial aid for PyCon, whether you are a PyLady or PyGent.